Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Armenian Terrorism?

I have to admit, I do not feel as though I am the type of person that should be blogging. In fact, a part of me feels that, in general, bloggers are people that are really full of themselves and think that they have to share their lives with the world. I still think that, but here I am blogging. I figure if I am going to sit in the library studying for finals until closing time (2am, folks), then I might as well do something productive while avoiding my work. Come to think of it, my finals are the reason I am writing this post. You see, in researching for my last paper of the quarter, I stumbled upon the section of our wonderful library that held the books on the subject of Armenia, my homeland-or eem hayrenike. This section, unfortunately, consists of about 20 or so books, most of them on the subject of genocide and very few by non-Armenian writers. I came across one called...well actually I am not sure what it is called since I just returned it...(I should probably look it up.) Anyway, this book was about Armenian Terrorism. Now I am not an expert on Armenia at all. In fact, growing up in the community I was in, I was at times ashamed to say that I was Armenian. It seemed as though every Armenian male I met came to school with a 1/2 inch binder with three sheets of paper and ditched class to go drive around in their luxury cars. The females were not much better. It was as if it was a requirement to have the desire to be engaged in your senior year of high school and have your first child before finishing your Associate's at LA City College- if you got that far. Anyway, back to my point. I pick up this book and it talked about how Armenian terrorist organizations are one of the most dangerous and most neglected organizations in the world. Did I miss something? We have terrorists? The only image that came to my mind when I read that was a group of Armenian men with big bellies running off to threaten the life of the odar that dared to date their little girl.

This lack of knowledge about my own country prompted me to start this blog. I think what our community needs most is a resource that is easily accesible in order to learn about various topics concerning Armenia. My goal is to learn something new about my culture each week and share my new found knowledge with my readers...which I hope eventually will consist of more people than just my boyfriend and my brother.

2 comments:

Existentialist said...

Keep at it! I am excited to see what kind of journey this leads too!

Monte Melkonian said...

Please remember that one's terrorist is another's hero. If it wasn't for the ASALA and JCAG the issue of the Armenian Genocide was all but forgotten in the western world. Also remmember that the majority of their attacks was toward Turkish government and the turkish people. And when innocent civilians were harmed in Orly airport the group broke apart and subsequently ceased to exist and no "Armenian terrorism" has been carried out in over 20 years.